This gentle and supported hamstring stretch is a favourite with many of my back pain clients who suffer from lower back pain.
You will need:
- a folded towel or small blanket. I have used a polar fleece throw in this example.
- a yoga mat or blanket to protect you from the floor
- a small pillow for your head. Not everyone needs this, but if your neck feels a little strain it is better to elevate it with a small pillow or folded towel
- a blank piece of wall
- 10 minutes of your time
- Begin with your bottom as close to the wall as possible and roll onto the towel so it is comfortable and supporting your lower back.
- Take your legs up the wall and gently flex your toes towards your nose. This activates your thigh muscles and gives you a gentle stretch along the back of your legs.
- Rest there for approximately 1 minute then move your legs to the next position about 30 cm apart and repeat step 2
- Keep moving your legs 30 cm apart after each minute of the stretch until you finally reach your comfortable limit.
- Begin to move your legs together 30 cm at a time and rest for 1 minute in each place until your legs are upright.
- Bend your knees and roll onto all 4’s to come to standing position.
- Notice how different your back feels. Did this relieve lower back pain?
If you have any questions, please contact Vicki.