Quick and Easy Pumpkin Soup
So easy the kids can make this one.
- 1kg of Jap or Kent pumpkin
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2-4 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Pinch of cracked pepper – to taste
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 teaspoons chicken stock powder
- water to just cover
- fresh coriander leaves -finely chopped
- sour cream or yoghurt to serve
- Gently heat the chopped onion, garlic, cinnamon stick and pepper in the butter until the onion is transparent
- While the onion is cooking – Peel, seed and dice the pumpkin into 2-3 cm cubes
- Mix the pumpkin with the onion and butter mixture and coat the pumpkin.
- Cook gently for about 5 – 10 minutes until the outside of the pumpkin pieces begin to soften
- Add only enough water to cover the pumpkin, add chicken stock powder (CAUTION- too much water will dilute the flavour – less is more here).
- Simmer for 10 minutes or until the pumpkin is soft.
- Remove the cinnamon stick
- Blend with a wand /stick blender until smooth
- Serve with crusty bread covered with melted cheese
- Drizzle each bowl with sour cream or yoghurt and Sprinkle with finely chopped coriander.
- Add sweet potato or carrots to the pumpkin pieces for a richer flavour.
- Add curry spices for something a little different
- Use coconut cream and water to cook the pumpkin.